Butternut Apple Skewers
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons almond or cashew butter
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3-4 apples, chopped
- 8-10 wooden skewers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and dice butternut squash into about 1-inch cubes.
- Mix together the spices, ghee or oil, nut butter, lemon juice and maple syrup. Add a bit of water if too thick (should be like a thick dressing).
- In a bowl, pour 2/3 of the mixture over squash and toss, covering all the pieces evenly.
- Place squash on a baking sheet and into oven for 20 minutes.
- Mix apple into remaining sauce mixture.
- Remove squash from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Alternate apple and squash pieces on skewers.
- Put back into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until both are soft.
These are great as an appetizer, dessert or snack. They will keep in the fridge for about 3 days.